These 10 alarming statistics about phishing in 2020 can help you fight back against cybercriminals who are coming to loot your data.
Phishing is 2020’s biggest threat. An economic downturn, COVID-19 anxiety, and the new challenges of securing a remote workforce have opened up new waters for bad actors to trawl. As these alarming statistics about phishing in 2020 show, their haul has been plentiful.
10 Phishing Facts You Need To Know in 2020
- More than 80% of all cyberattacks are phishing attacks
- Phishing attacks have increased over 600% since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic
- 65% of organizations have experienced a phishing attack in the last year
- A new phishing attack is launched every 39 seconds
- An estimated 90% of cyberattacks that result in data breach begin with a phishing email
- 94% of phishing emails use malicious file attachments as the payload or infection source
- Google estimates it blocks 18 million COVID-19 scam emails a day from its 1.5 billion users
- 60% of businesses lose unrecoverable data as the result of a phishing attack
- 75% of phishing targets are found through web searches or common email address formats
- 65% of cybercriminals use phishing as their primary form of attack
Blow Phishing Out Of The Water
What’s the best way to avoid catastrophe from a phishing attack? Never let it get started. By ensuring that employees are savvy to the phishing threats that they might face, you’ll reduce your chance of experiencing a phishing-related cybersecurity disaster by up to 70%. Security awareness training is proven to be a top mitigation for phishing – as long as it’s refreshed every 4 months or less.
Contact us to discuss details about our Security Awareness Training to help ensure that your employees are educated and trained on the latest threats to your organization.